Saturday 26 November 2011

jhjiohio


At the same time, I mean? I can, only I make many mistakes! :D

Ok, this was a lousy attempt to start this thread pretending that the last time I said something here was last Monday!
I 've been away for quite some time and I apologise! You do not want to hear the story, believe me- it is so very boring. The highlights- my Internet dropped dead, I sent my old Internet provider to hell, I was only able to get this new account in late December which is roughly when my USB internet adapter decided top drop dead. Now they're all good! :)
But I spent much time knitting and I do have many things to show you only I can't do it at the moment since my Photoshop is currently also dead. And so is, apparently, the installation CD (nothing can surprise me anymore!!!). And, oddly enough, an average Photoshoper who can turn a woman into an elephant or enlarge Brad Pitt's boobs and turn him into his wife in less than 15 min anytime can also spend up to an hour and a half trying to crop a stupid picture using other tolls and programs and reach the point when it is only a matter of time when he will kill his own computer. So, being one of this kind, I think that I should simply post some pictures taken by other people for now and until the situation gets better. It's safer that way! :D

So, besides knitting, I have also been reading a bit. Reading about knitting of course. And I would like to recommend some of the books that I have read recently as I'm sure that you'd like them.

The truth is- I'm not really in love with knitting books. I find the majority of very popular books to be non imaginative, overly expensive and often lacking in some basic informations. I apologise to the authors (not that anyone knows who they are!). :) But I did have a secret wish- list and this winter I was lucky enough to actually become the owner of some of these books. But it turns out that the books that I thought would be most interesting were eventually and after getting a chance to hold them in my hands erased from my wish-list whilst I fell in love with some other books I didn't even know existed. Luckily, I had a chance to "check" them first and so, no unwanted books are sitting on my shelves at the moment.

I won't mention the books that disappointed me; after all, it could be just me.

Here are some of them:




This is one great book and I'd never even heard of it before this winter. A really great book! Great for beginners, great for intermediate knitters and something every experienced knitter should have or at least read.

And you'll find all sorts of tips and useful explanations in it: cast on, cast off, increases, decreases, blocking, pockets, collars, grafting, short row method, joining yarn, striping, sewing, shaping shoulders (now, that is something that you can't find very often), buttonholes and hems ....many, many great things and yet it is a very simple book. You'll even find some basic tips and advices for shaping, taking measurements, adjusting tension etc. ('cause in order to finish something you first have to know how to make it, aye?! :) )




A real jewel, I think it would make a great present for a knitter beginner.
Now, this book I'd wanted for quite some time and it didn't disappoint me at all. First of all- it is a REAL book , with many pages and many pictures and all. :)))
Second of all- it is full of lovely patterns, inspiring pictures and lovely colours. I'm sure you'd love it.

Now, though my list of great books for lace knitters or, should I say, for the knitters of lace :) is much longer and though I'll probably post it here soon, I just had to mention these two books:
- "Gossamer webs", a booklet rather than a book is a real treasure for all those interested in mastering Russian shawls from Orenburg. It is probably a rare widely available source of all the tips, techniques and explanations necessary for making traditional Orenburg shawls and it isn't very expensive either.
- the second book is called "Haapsalu sall"and it is a "must have" for every lace knitter especially those who do not own the "original" Leili Reimann's book. In Hapsalu sall you will find what is probably the biggest collection of traditional and lace stitch patterns in general.
This book is still pretty new to me but I think that some of the patterns published in it can be very inspirational for all of us who are still thinking about knitting heavy jumpers and warm shawls and having trouble realising that warm days are just around the corner. I think you could use this book to turn your needles into the direction from which the summer is coming. Because it is on its way!

And, by all means, Jared Flood's "Made in Brooklyn" : brilliant, imaginative, full of fun knits, lovely patterns and actually wearable things. :))) I just love it! You will too- that I can guarantee!



And there's one more thing that I think you should definitely treat yourself with- it's the Interweave knits Fall 2009. issue. It is called The Natural issue and I'm not even sure what it is that makes it so special (besides beautiful patterns and amazing natural colours :D ) but it is very, very special. Bulky yarns, easy yet fascinating knits, natural colours, lovely colour-work, warm hoodies, casual purses....oh, just get this issue, it is great!!!!
Here's what you will find in it (among other just as lovely patterns)

Do I need to say more?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment